Breaking Barriers | Shoreditch, London (initially homebased) | £40,000 to £45,000
About the charity
Breaking Barriers puts its donors at the heart of their work, and predominantly generates income from strategic partnerships with corporates, statutory and trusts.
Fundraising is closely tied to service delivery, which offers education and employment support for refugees living in London. The charity’s programs complement government initiatives, while going the extra mile to support clients at every stage of their journey into jobs befitting of their skills and training.
The charity has grown significantly over the last five years in both headcount and value, and is growing once again in the philanthropy team. There will be a focus on growing the major donor function, assisting the Head of Philanthropy on strategy, and management of a portfolio of existing high level trusts. The fast paced and innovative culture offers candidates the unique opportunity to grow and shape their career with full support of the CEO and SLT.
The Senior Philanthropy Manager will steward a portfolio of major donor and trusts, as well as creating new relationships to secure annual and multi-year gifts in support of Breaking Barriers’ vision.
This role will work closely with the corporate fundraising team to build strong relationships with individuals connected through the charity’s networks. This role will also network with senior stakeholders, so it is vital that you are an exceptional relationship builder and comfortable working with a wide range of people.
You will have considerable experience of securing and developing major partnerships with HNWIs in the charity, higher education or commercial sectors. Breaking Barriers is looking for a highly competent and proactive individual who is able to spot opportunities and think creatively. You will share the team’s determination and will be attracted by the idea of a team with big ambitions to grow and opportunities to try new ideas.
- Manage a portfolio of donors and prospects including development of tailored solicitation and stewardship plans for each donor
- Directly solicit major gifts and grants, working closely with colleagues in the programmes team to develop proposals and engagement opportunities
- Line management of Philanthropy Managers
- Attend meetings and events as a senior representative of Breaking Barriers
- Research and identify new prospects and opportunities
- Manage and continually develop a pipeline of existing and new prospects
- Work closely with the Head of Philanthropy to contribute to the development and implementation of strategy, including research, acquisition, cultivation, and stewardship
- Write compelling proposals, reports and correspondence in support of strategic priorities
- Ensure accurate record keeping of all activity and relationships on the CRM database
- Build and develop cross-organisational relationships to facilitate fundraising and strengthen understanding of philanthropy, including with senior stakeholders
- Regularly update and report on philanthropy income pipeline and budget in line with progress to ensure the value and timing of planned income to the organisation is accurate
You will be an entrepreneurial, energetic, high value fundraiser with demonstrable experience in securing five- and six-figure gifts. The Senior Philanthropy Manager will work closely with the Head of Philanthropy, CEO and SLT to develop bespoke proposals and manage relationships with high-value contacts. They will also manage two Philanthropy Managers, supporting them to develop their skills across the team’s portfolio.
- Strategic and creative thinker
- Experience with either building or growing a major donor program, or an existing portfolio of trusts
- Demonstrable interest in the refugee or migration sectors
- Track record in high value fundraising (5-6 figures), including making successful face to face asks
- Experience of compiling and submitting successful applications to trusts and foundations, major donors, statutory bodies, or relevant comparable private sector experience
- Excellent track record of relationship management
- Strong negotiation and influencing skills
- Knowledge of GDPR and other fundraising regulations in relation to high value fundraising
- Excellent computer skills including proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite.
- Experience of developing and implementing high value fundraising strategy
- Experience of creating and managing development boards or other high-level volunteer committees
- Previous experience running fundraising, cultivation, and stewardship events
- Previous experience of line management
Breaking Barriers offers:
- £45,000 p/a
- Office in Shoreditch
- NEST government pension scheme
- Cycle to work scheme
- Agile working
- Excellent professional development
The closing date for application is no later than 17 August 2020.
Applications require a two-page CV and one-page covering letter explaining your philanthropy experience and fit for Breaking Barriers’ person spec.
Breaking Barriers are an equal opportunities employer and welcome applications from all suitably qualified persons regardless of their race, sex, disability, religion/belief, sexual orientation or age. Breaking Barriers particularly welcomes applicants with experience of migration and/or a refugee background.
Interviews slots have been initially arranged 19-26 August 2020.
Please contact Kayleigh McCallion for a full brief, and to apply.