Royal British Legion | London, SE1 1AA (flexible hours and work from home options) | £34,954.74 to £37,000 pa (including London Weighting)
About the charity/role
The Royal British Legion is at the heart of a national network that supports the armed forces community ensuring their unique contribution is never forgotten. They are the UK’s largest armed forces charity with 235,000 members, 110,000 volunteers and a network of partners and charities, providing support wherever and whenever it is needed.
They are perhaps best recognised for their Poppy Appeal campaign, which last year raised c£50m in unrestricted funds. Their total fundraising income for 2018 (donations, legacies, events, lotteries and trading) was over £100m.
The Major Gifts Fundraiser will complete the newly created philanthropy team, which was formed following a fundraising wide restructure. The full team, who sit within the high value directorate, will consist of a Head of Philanthropy, Trusts and Foundations Fundraiser, Major Gifts Fundraiser and Researcher. Collectively they will be responsible for driving innovation in high value giving at a time when the military sector faces significant challenges including less financial support from the state and a reduction in funds, in part as a result of the armed forces becoming less front of mind.
The RBL needs a Major Gifts Fundraiser to help build a long term, sustainable major gift programme by:
- continuing the face to face and relational development of a portfolio of c.500 individuals, recently identified from over 2,500, who have given up to £5k previously with minimal engagement
- helping the Head of Philanthropy and Trust and Foundations Fundraising Officer to develop further, innovative and varied propositions, supporting evidence and engagement opportunities
- working to the current major gift target of £100k with a view to stretch this upwards by, amongst other things, building a programme of bespoke fundraising ‘products’ for donors who want to give to specific projects
- working collaboratively with the Head of Philanthropy to maximise relationships and asks.
The position would best suit:
- a creative fundraiser, well versed in securing gifts up to five figures, looking to take the next step in their professional development
- an externally focused relationship builder, motivated by generating new income by engaging new funders and developing excellent proposals
- someone who can expertly steward, manage and develop funding relationships
- a proactive and confident team player, able to shift focus from complex relationships and asks, undertake administrative tasks, and uphold fundraising best practice.
If you are interested in this role, please contact me at the details below. CVs will be submitted to the RBL on a rolling basis.