When Bryn Parry, a veteran and eminent cartoonist, and his wife Emma heard in 2007 that people were shouting at wounded veterans at a local public swimming pool, they knew they had to do something. So they started a campaign for dedicated facilities and a movement to change the way we see and support veterans and their loved ones. Over £2M was raised in just 2 months, and Help for Heroes was born.
Help For Heroes is now a national charity with a vision for a society where everyone in the Armed Forces community lives well after service. The charity provides tailored support for physical and mental health to veterans and their families in their homes and communities across the UK. The charity have recently appointed a new CEO, James Needham, who joined in 2018 as their Chief Operating Officer. James has been instrumental in the development of the charity’s 10-year ‘Live Well’ strategy and brings a wealth of industry experience, having previously spent over 15 years working within the hospitality sector for the likes of Greene King and Starbucks.
The Head of Individual Giving leads teams across individual giving, legacies and supporter care. You will be instrumental in driving growth within individual giving, with secured investment, and ensuring legacies continues to be a key income stream. This role is fundamental to the new income and engagement strategy.
You will be able to reshape and develop the individual giving strategy as you see fit, achieving the headline aims with the autonomy and freedom necessary to deliver this within the larger strategy framework. This role has the potential to be career defining for the right candidate who can drive transformational change and thrives in being able to see opportunities through to fruition.
About the role
As Head of Individual Giving, you will:
- Take responsibility for individual giving income of circa £2 million and legacy income of £10-12 million
- Develop and execute a 3-year plan to grow a strong supporter base to ensure income growth in line with strategic objectives
- Lead a team of 3 managers and a wider team of 15, empowering them to deliver
- Develop processes and procedures to drive the individual giving programme forward, future proofing the system
- Launch acquisition campaigns, working with agency support
- Work with the new database, fostering a data centric approach to individual giving and enhancing supporter journeys
Ideal skills and experience:
- A data driven senior individual giving expert who is looking for a challenge and where they can make an impact
- Candidates will be at a head of individual giving level but senior managers looking for their first step into a head role will be considered if they bring exceptionally strong experience
- Confident leader with the gravitas to be the organisational champion of individual giving, driving change needed to ensure success
- Supportive and enabling style of management with the ability to bring people through change
- Ability to see the opportunities for individual giving, with the vision to maximise those opportunities
- Thrives on successful implementation of plans and works with thoughtful optimisation
- Expertise in developing supporter journeys is of specific interest
- Strong influencing and relationship building skills
- Flexible working, with employees encouraged to apply for flexible working arrangements that work best for their individual needs
- 35 hour working week, with core hours of 10am-3pm
- Family-friendly culture, including enhanced maternity, paternity and shared parental leave
- 29 days holiday entitlement, regardless of length of service, plus a day off for your birthday, plus bank holidays
- 4% employer contribution pension (5% employee contribution)
- Comprehensive life insurance (4 x annual salary)
- Volunteering days
- SimplyHealth Employee Assistance Programme