Refuge | London with flexible working | £53,000 DOE
About the charity/role
Refuge is committed to a world where domestic violence and violence against women and girls is not tolerated, and where women and children can live in safety. They aim to empower women and children to rebuild their lives, free from violence and fear, placing their work under three key pillars: protection, prevention and provision.
In late 2018, Refuge appointed a new Director of Fundraising to rebuild and transform their fundraising team. In a short time, they’ve grown from four permanent employees to a team of 16, rebuilt around transparency, cohesion, ambition and teamwork.
At the same time, they’ve developed their systems, products and process, helping them to achieve their income target of £3.1m (19/20), with them ahead of schedule to hit their targeted £4.3m in 20/21. They are soon to launch a new fundraising strategy, where they’ll double their income again in the next three years.
Refuge need to replace a key member of the team who has helped to set a clear and successful direction of travel. With developed proposals and a strong prospect pipeline, the Head of Major Giving will continue this work, leading a new Major Donor Manager, a re-positioned trust team (of two) and a Prospect Researcher.
They will manage a diverse and high-value portfolio (c.£600k), while leading the external donor engagement for a charity with significant ambition, focus and resources as they enter their 50th year.
They need a Head of Major Giving to:
- lead their ambitious planned income growth from major donors, trusts and foundations, with 70:20:10 split between fundraising, management and strategy development
- manage an experienced team of four
- develop relationships with key funders, driving their engagement through a range of events and opportunities
- support the SMT, Chief Executive and Board of Trustees to develop their networks and resources
The position would best suit:
- a talented fundraiser, keen to lead a strong team and grow income for an established charity with huge potential
- a passionate advocate of gender equality with emotional intelligence and empathy
- a driven self-starter, keen to join a team that has made huge strides towards its mission, but that recognises there is lots more to do
- a relationship-focused fundraiser, able to initiate and build excellent links to a range of donors
- an experienced professional who thrives in a collaborative environment, who is keen to use their experience to continue to transform Refuge through their next 50 years