These projects have reconnected forest fragments, restored migratory routes, stamped out illegal trades and found ways for humans and wild animals to successfully live closer together than ever before.
In 2021, Elephant Family merged with British Asian Trust, an alliance that marked an exciting step in the evolution of both charities. It brought together the best minds in conservation, management and philanthropy, to respond urgently to the staggering loss of habitat threatening Asia’s wildlife species and the communities who live alongside them.
Elephant Family is renowned for their unique and high profile events, which have been the foundation of the charity and will remain a key part of fundraising activities. Through these events, and their loyal HNWI supporters and corporate partners, Elephant Family have raised more than £20 million since 2003. Following success in recent years, a new role of Head of Fundraising has been created to lead and capitalise on this growth and the emerging opportunities.
The Head of Fundraising will spearhead continued growth, focusing on developing a robust major donor programme, building on the strong events portfolio and securing continued corporate support. There is significant potential to be realised within the existing donor base of HNWI and UHNWI supporters. Corporate partners and sponsors are also a key source of income, and with such a strong and renowned brand, there is further scope to build effective partnerships.
Introduction from the Chief Executive
Elephant Family is one of the most exciting charities in the country! We organise the most amazing events and have an incredible supporter base, the combination of which enables us to raise funds for the conservation programmes we deliver in Asia.
Recent years have seen some remarkable successes – in 2021 our “CoExistence Campaign” brought London to a standstill as over 100 lifesize elephants made of lantana closed the Mall for a day and then occupied the Royal Parks for six weeks, raising over £3m in the process! Last year our Animal Ball made global headlines and raised over £2m. We have also secured substantial funding from the UK Government for our work in India.
We now want to build on these successes and substantially increase our income so that we can increase our programmes and impact. We are looking for an outstanding fundraiser who will develop and implement an ambitious and exciting fundraising strategy that will focus on amazing events, High Net Worth individuals and corporate partnerships.
About the role
As Head of Fundraising, you will:
- Develop and deliver a comprehensive fundraising strategy which focuses on driving growth from HNWIs, special events and corporate partners
- Maximise the Elephant Family brand
- Build compelling engagement and stewardship plans which focus on deepening relationships with supporters
- Oversee the delivery of special events and creatively lead on designing future events to engage and steward supporters
- Create and implement plans, budgets and KPIs aligned with the strategy
- Manage a small and talented team by applying your knowledge and experience to create a high performing team capable of driving ambitious growth
- Work closely with the British Asian Trust’s Senior Leadership team, Philanthropy team, the Conservation Communications Manager and Programmes team
Ideal skills and experience:
- Demonstrable experience of operating in a senior leadership role with a growth mindset and high levels of ambition
- Experience of setting and delivering a fundraising strategy, with a particular focus on driving a successful major donor programme
- Significant experience cultivating and stewarding HNWIs and UHNWIs, with a track record of soliciting substantial gifts
- Experience leading and overseeing a special events portfolio
- Strong communication and networking skills with the confidence to engage stakeholders of all levels (SMT, Trustees, senior volunteers, donors, partners, colleagues)
- Strong team leadership skills with a supportive and motivating approach
- Ability to be both strategic and operational
- Ambitious, creative, trustworthy, target-driven and proactive
Employee benefits include:
- 25 days annual leave (pro rata) plus bank holidays
- 5% employer contribution pension
- Cycle to work scheme
- Access to a well being platform