Spread a Smile | London | Up to £55,000 FTE, 3-5 days possible
About the charity/role
Spread a Smile is a rapidly developing charity, with a mission to brighten the days of seriously ill children and teenagers in hospital.
Magicians, musicians, fairies, poets, singers, face painters, artists and therapy dogs make approximately 40 visits to London hospitals each month to provide a diversion from the boredom and monotony of those confined to hospital for prolonged periods. Spread a Smile reaches over 6,000 children a year.
Initially focussed on establishing a robust, well-organised and expertly delivered service in London and the South East, Spread a Smile wants to grow from six to 12 major hospitals and hospices in the next five years.
It is critical for the charity, as they grow, that they build upon the strong culture of connection, seen from founders and trustees, staff, donors and beneficiaries. Their work is utterly engaging, and exactly what you’d hope it to be, but for families the meaning of their work couldn’t be more profound. They raised £650k in 2017/18, from corporates, trusts and foundations, individuals and high-quality events.
Many of the team of 16 have been with the charity since the start, but their consistent and excellent trajectory of growth (across fundraising, capacity and operations) has led them to a point where they need a Director of Fundraising to manage and develop their income and related communications.
This new position will report to the Chief Executive, work closely with all parts of the charity, and ensure Spread a Smile is managing the income opportunities available, and that its capabilities are growing with demand.
The Director of Fundraising will:
- help deliver excellent fundraising outcomes directly, from a range of high value individual supporters and high value events
- lead and manage a team of three – a developed Head of Fundraising with a focus on corporates, a developed Trusts and Foundation Fundraiser, and a Fundraising Assistant
- strategically plan, and report on, the best route for income delivery and growth
- start with a rich and exciting corporate portfolio, a warm but underdeveloped major donor pipeline (including a 400 head gala), and some excellent trusts and foundation results
- maintain and develop great care of donors along the way
The position will best suit:
- an expert high value fundraiser, able to work brilliantly with people, with a broad portfolio and with limited resources
- an effective organiser and manager, able to coordinate multiple projects in a small team
- an ambitious and motivated leader, keen to make a mark in a very exciting charity